The Conway Board of Trustees met at the Conway School on October 21, 2011, and elected five new members and a new chair and vice-chair. The trustees reviewed the school’s new website, discussed admissions strategies, and examined an advanced copy of Drawing Lessons, a new book on the history of the Conway School. They also heard committee reports and approved the final budget for the fiscal year.
Virginia “Ginny” Sullivan ’86 of Conway, MA, was elected board chair, succeeding Arthur Collins ’79. Long-time board member Allen Rossiter of Lincoln, MA, was elected vice-chair, a position previously held by Richard Brown.
Ginny Sullivan is a jogar casino landscape designer and an early childhood educator with advanced degrees in both ecological landscape design (from the Conway School) and curriculum development. She is co-author, with Wendy Banning, of Lens on Outdoor Learning (Redleaf Press 2010). Ginny is a principal in the firm Learning by the Yard, consultants for school grounds.
Newly elected members of the board are:
- Ms. Joey Brode, former bank vice president, Provincetown, MA
- Dr. Carla Oleska, Executive Director, Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts, Easthampton, MA.
- Dr. Nitin Patel, Founder, Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of Cytel, Inc., Cambridge, MA.
- Dr. Dolores Root, Principal, Root & Associates, planners for cultural and educational organizations, Shelburne, MA,
- Mr. Tim Umbach, former chief financial officer, Northampton, MA.
Reelected to an additional term on the board were Al Rossiter and John Barclay. Retiring trustees were Jack Ahern, Art Collins “79, and Nat Goodhue ’91.
The board meets at the school three times a year, in October, February, and May.