We are excited to announce that Conway will host a digital design workshop at the end of this month: Introduction to Adobe InDesign. The Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, offers excellent tools for designers and planners to distill complex social and environmental data into compelling documents that inform and inspire. This summer, come learn fundamental tools and techniques to communicate your big ideas with the Conway School of Landscape Design.
Adobe InDesign is the primary tool used by the Conway School’s design and planning students to produce their printed documents. InDesign allows them to incorporate text, photos, maps, and other graphics into beautiful and clear project deliverables. This is an introductory workshop open for everyone! Incoming Conway students are encouraged to attend, and we also welcome prospective future Conway students, students at other schools, Conway alumni, and the general public. The workshop will be taught by Keith Zaltzberg, a member of the adjunct faculty at Conway and an Ecological Designer at the Regenerative Design Group in Greenfield, MA.
In this four-day, hands-on workshop for novice and intermediate Adobe users, participants will learn how to do everything required to put together a professional quality plan set. The class will begin with the basics including the Adobe user interface and toolsets before moving on to more advanced topics like multi-page document format with InDesign. In addition to covering technical skills and basic graphic design principles, participants will also explore and set up workflow and file management systems to optimize efficiency and ease of use for the long term.
The course will alternate between brief presentations and skill building exercises. Each session will build on the skills learned in the previous sessions, but there will be adequate time to catch-up or try something new, depending on your learning pace.
This workshop will take place Tuesday, August 30 – Friday September 2 at Conway’s campus in Easthampton, Massachusetts.
The cost is $250 for students and alums, and $300 for the general public. Priority space is given to enrolled students. The fee can be sent via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org or via check mailed to:
332 South Deerfield Road
P.O. Box 179
Conway, MA 01341-0179
See our draft details below and check back for updates.
Schedule & Location:
9:00am- 5:00pm. August 30 – September 2
Conway School’s Easthampton Campus
180 Pleasant Street, Suite 211
We do require that participants have the latest version of the Adobe Creative Suite installed prior to the beginning of the workshop. If you are a student or teacher, you can purchase an educational edition from a number of suppliers, or subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud. Using your new student email address as proof, you should be able to download either of these without trouble. If you’ve never done so in the past, you can also download a trial version of the software from Adobe.
· Laptop Computer with Abobe CS 6 or Creative Cloud; installed (if you don’t have them, download trial versions)
· An external 5-Button mouse (with a scroll feature)
Topics to be Covered:
· Document set-up and editing
· Pages: You can create multiple page documents in InDesign. Understand how to create, delete, and move pages. Also, understand how to move objects from one page to another
· Masterpages: These control the layout of any page assigned to them.
· Styles- paragraph, character and object: Understand how to create, modify, and import styles to facilitate the efficient and consistent creation and editing of a documents look and feel.
· Layers: Be sure you understand how to create and re-order layers within a document. Also, you should know how to assign, move, and reassign objects to different layers
· Object Frames and Text Frames: Controlling stroke, fill, font, etc
· Placing objects and images
· Exporting and printing
· Working with existing documents
Lunch is not provided.
Please RSVP Using the Form Below: